WSU's Jefferson Extension leader Baril to retire

By Charlie Bermant Peninsula Daily News

PORT HADLOCK -- Jefferson County will lose one of its most vocal supporters of agriculture, education and social programs when Washington State University Extension Executive Director Kathryn Baril retires at the end of this month.

In a letter announcing her resignation Tuesday, Baril said she was excited about the future.

"The time has come for me to move on to pursue some other interests; to devote more time with my family, friends and garden; to weigh and embrace other offers and opportunities that are before me now," she wrote.

"I'll be changing the shape of my days and the scope of my focus, but I'll be staying in our community."

"It's really time right now," Baril, 63, said of her decision.

"You know when you have done really good work, and I have accomplished many of my goals, teaching people how to feed and support their families."

The extension office, which was the first of its kind in the state, does this in two ways.

It supports agricultural programs like 4-H and teaches sustainable agricultural techniques to county residents. 


Read More